[mythtv-users] Virtualisation in the home network -- ready for mainstream?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Thu Sep 3 17:58:51 UTC 2009

Simon Hobson wrote:
> But for me, one of the biggest reason is the separation of software - I
> can fiddle away with a setup as much as I like, and if I really screw it
> up I can just blow it away and start again. I don't have to worry, for
> example, about needing to run the very latest stuff to get my tuner
> working and that breaking my fairly old software running the mail server.

It's also helpful if you have stuff that runs on different operating
systems.  I have a server that runs FreeBSD and has a bunch of old
software on it that would be too much trouble to port to Linux.  One of
these days I'm going to replace it with a virtualized machine so I can
run it on the same box as my Myth backend.