[mythtv-users] Mythtv users with Comcast HD cable boxes (Chicago?)

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Fri Sep 4 13:33:26 UTC 2009

Kevin Hill wrote:

[deleted]

>> But the 2nd part of your problem would be the PVR-500. They only
>> capture 4x3. So the question is would it just take the 16x9 anamorphic
>> as is? I would guess it would but it wouldn't have the 16x9 flag that
>> they use for anamorphic widescreen DVDs etc. In that case you fix it
>> during playback by changing the aspect ratio. I haven't tried that but
>> it might work. Maybe somebody else here has.
>
> Yeah, the pvr-500 just records whatever it sees coming in. It can be set
> to mark it as 4:3 or 16:9 as the case may be. I forget if this is in
> Myth or needs v4l2/ivtv settings directly, but I'm pretty sure I
> remember playing with widescreen on the pvr-500 before while testing
> stuff when I first got it... just would like to get confirmation that
> the cable box can do this. May get addicted to HD on-demand regardless
> while waiting for 0.22 and the hd-pvr anyway :)

PVR-150/250/350/500 can all capture 16:9 anamorphic widescreen content
over S-video.  I'm doing it myself with a DirecTV HD settop box going
into an old PVR-350 I have.  You can get really good wide-screen, SD
down-conversion of your HD content that you're paying a premium for.  :-)

You pretty much need an HD settop box to do this, as they are the only
ones I am aware of that offer the "output widescreen SD to your TV"
option.  I'm not saying there aren't any SD cable or satellite settop
boxes that do this - I'm just not aware of them.