[mythtv-users] What processor?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Sep 4 16:21:34 UTC 2009

On Friday 04 September 2009 09:57:03 Johnny wrote:
> > Does anyone know if the Athlon 250 will work in a AM2 socket MB?
> > Thanks,
> >  Bert
>
> I believe that AM3 CPUs can go in AM2/AM2+ MB, but it may require a
> BIOS update, but it will fit.

Hmmm, I didn't know that, thanks. I have some AM2 mobos, but they are old
enough that the current BIOS may not support that. I wonder if they are going
to update the BIOS for older boards, guess that would depend on the maker.
These are Asus boards, they are generally somewhat better than most.

> But you can't put an AM2 CPU in an AM3
> MB because they can't work with the DDR3 memory.

Certainly makes sense.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org