[mythtv-users] OT: Do we have HD in the UK?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sun Sep 6 11:30:40 UTC 2009

>I haven't been able
>to find out what to expect in HD from Freesat. I know I'd
>get ITV HD and BBC HD and I've been monitoring their
>schedules, but I've only seen one or two programs on
>those channels that I'd usually watch. Is that it?

At the moment, that's it. I'd imagine other stuff will appear at some
point - at the moment there probably isn't the critical mass to
justify the investment for most program makers/broadcasters. Also,
don't forget that some channels may still be under contract to Sky -
I believe that was a reason for Channel 4 being late to the freesat
party.

HD isn't on Freeview yet - and when it does arrive, all those "HD
Ready" sets won't show it without going back to a separate box. And
freesat is relatively new, so there aren't yet all that many viewers
with it (and even fewer TV sets with it built in).

When there's more viewers able to watch it, I'd expect to see more HD
channels popping up.

--
Simon Hobson