[mythtv-users] Getting irxevent to work with SDL apps, game emulators (sdlmame, zsnes, fceux)

Matthew Sheppard mattjs12 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 22:50:33 UTC 2009

After finding irxevent failed to work with sdlmame, then searching and
finding two apps that did (xmacro and xdotool) I took a closer look.  I
found that a two line change to irxevent made it work.

Flushing the XEvent queue in between press and release and increasing
the sleep period is enough, I guess, to ensure the target window gets
the events in separate reads of its event queue.  SDL maybe ignoring the
event timestamp and treating a press-release in the same batch as
holding the key down for zero seconds.  Thus ignoring them.

sdlmame, zsnes, fceux had failed but then worked with the change below.
Another SDL game lbreakout2 worked before and after.  Probably affects
SDL apps that poll for events, rather than wait for next event.

*** lirc-0.8.4a/tools/irxevent.c        2007-03-30 19:13:47.000000000 +1200
--- lirc-0.8.4a/tools/irxevent.c.sdl-tweak      2009-09-02
11:44:58.000000000 +1200
***************
*** 465,472 ****
    if (s) sendfocus(s,FocusIn);

    XSendEvent(dpy,w,True,KeyPressMask,&xev);
    xev.type = KeyRelease;
!   usleep(2000);
    xev.xkey.time = fake_timestamp();
    if (s) sendfocus(s,FocusOut);
    XSendEvent(dpy,w,True,KeyReleaseMask,&xev);
--- 465,474 ----
    if (s) sendfocus(s,FocusIn);

    XSendEvent(dpy,w,True,KeyPressMask,&xev);
+   XFlush(dpy);
+
    xev.type = KeyRelease;
!   usleep(20000);