[mythtv-users] Drive spin up time and Live TV/Watching Recordings

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Mon Sep 7 02:57:25 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-09-06 at 16:32 -0500, Kevin Wambsganz wrote:

> I have noticed that when I try to watch recorded movies or live TV,
> sometimes after the “Please Wait” message, the frontend pops back to
> the menu

My perception (and that's all it is) is that this has gotten a lot
better. I too spin down my drives to save heat and power (it has been
stated here before that studies show that it doesn't increase hard drive
lifetime). I do notice a delay and I can hear the drive click on, but
eventually it works. Previously it used to do as you described (pop back
to the menu, then work the next time).

I am debating as to whether I want to continue spinning down idle
drives. Now that I have four storage drives, almost any time I move the
cursor in the recordings lists, I have to wait for another drive to spin
up. It gets very annoying.

--Greg