[mythtv-users] Roku as myth frontend?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Sep 7 20:18:48 UTC 2009

On Monday 07 September 2009 13:44:29 Johnny wrote:
> > A year or so ago there were some articles about how Roku's open source
> > code release,
> > would enable us to build a $99 HD myth frontend.  For example:
> >

> >  http://mythtvnews.com/2008/07/04/roku-netflix-player-potential-99-mythfr
> >ontend/
> >
> > Has anybody actually tried doing this?
>
> Roku didn't open source all of the code. They only open sourced some
> stuff as required by the GPL or whatever license they were dealing
> with. Much of the important stuff like the video hardware is still
> closed and proprietary. I don't think this has or is going anywhere.

Although it's twice the price, I think the best bet for something like that
would be a Myka:

http://www.myka.tv/

This runs Linux, and is described as "open source hardware". They do make an
SDK available and seem to encourage third-party development.

It's somewhat similar to the Popcorn Hour, another device that has been
mentioned as a possible Myth frontend,

That's not to say I'm certain it's possible to get a Myth frontend running on
this hardware, but I think there's a better chance than with the Roku box.

If anyone who knows more than I do would have a look at this I'd be interested
in other opinions.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org