[mythtv-users] DVB-S : no lock

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Tue Sep 8 12:43:39 UTC 2009

Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Greets,
>
> still on my way getting things done here.
>
> Now I face the fact that some (all?) of my 0-Byte-Recordings seem to
> come from the fact that one of my two Hauppauge Nova-S-Plus DVB-S cards
> doesn't get a lock.
>
> I checked this by shutting down mythbackend, and running szap and
> dvbscan, on each adapter.
>
> At first I thought the card was defective or the sat-cable-connection
> loose or something. Checked the connectors etc., even remounted the
> pci-cards.
>
> Both cards show up fine in "dmesg" or "lspci".
>
> I then started checking things with dvbscan and szap.
>
> It shows that this adapter doesn't get a lock for *some* channels.

I have three Nova S-Plus cards, so far two of them have had tone
signalling fail, one was replaced under warranty, the other is out of
warranty. This shows as some channels unable to tune, maybe this is your
problem too?

With one minor exception all the channels I want are below the tone
signal switching frequency so I'm living with the problem until I
replace them all with DVBS2 capable cards.

> my googling lead to some postings saying "broken since 2.6.29", so I
> tested 2.6.28. That msg was gone, yes, but the tuning/locking wasn't
> better on adapter0.

There was also some historical problem with v4l drivers and this card, I
think H/V & tone signalling was broken for a while but fixed now in
current v4l. If one card works this cannot be your problem unless there
is some non obvious version difference in the cards?

Andre