[mythtv-users] mythtv darkens dark scenes on video playback and on desktop SOLVED

Dave Richardson mythtv at derdev.com
Thu Sep 10 11:41:55 UTC 2009

> On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Dave Richardson <mythtv at derdev.com> wrote:
>> I swear this to be true (!)...
>> The Mythbuntu desktop and all video playback seems to darken on video
playback that involves darker scenes.  It then brightens to what I
regard
>> as normal brightness when the scene has more color or brightness. For
instance on the plain mythbuntu desktop (Gnome?) I use a dark
theme.
>> If there's nothing else being displayed, the screen is darkened by,
say,
>> 40%.  If I right click to open the mouse menu, or open a menu
>> navigation,
>> the whole screen brightens up again.
>> It's kind of like that feature (that I hate) on car stereos that raises
and lowers the audio level based upon the speed of the car.
>> I've disabled all power saving options on my LCD HD TV.  Is there any
chance there's a setting somewhere in mythbuntu, myth, or the nvidia
driver that I don't know about that is causing this behavior?
>> kit: mythbuntu 9.04, myth 0.21, ionitx a-u w/geforce 9400, nvidia
driver
>> 180 series (from their website a week ago), HDMI output.
>> (Cable tv playback directly into the TV does not have this "feature".
Thanks in advance!

> Your tv has "contrast" set to "dynamic".  It likely doesn't do it for
the onboard cable tuner, but probably has it turned on for hdmi.'

> It's not a power saving thing, it's so that they can lie and say the TV
has 328493248932:1 contrast ratio.

> I actually keep it on for my TV as I watch with the lights off (it's
only on the tv in the bedroom) but I can see how it'd be annoying in a
lit room.

Thanks Bill, SOLVED!  Sharp's LCD menu had "Active Contract" buried under
an "Advanced" options menu.  Disabled it and things are 'normal'.  Sorry
to have bothered the list with this.