[mythtv-users] Way to check the status of a tuner from command line [SOLVED]

Thu Sep 10 19:45:01 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 01 September 2009 15:03:04 Eric A. Boney wrote:
> So since I haven't been able to figure out the cause of my tuner going "off
> line" on my slave server I was hoping for a quicker fix for now. Seems that
> once this tuner goes unconnected, the only way to fix it is to reboot the
> server entirely. Even restarting the backend or stopping and then starting
> it again still won't bring the tuner back to a connected status on the
> master backend.
>
> So is there anyway I can test the status of this tuner from the command
> line so that I can setup a simple script to to reboot the system if the
> tuner is in a non-connected status?
>
> Does anyone else have any other ideas that could be causing the tuner to go
> from connected to unconnected status every single day? There are no
> messages in either the master or slave logs either.
>
> Thanks,
> -Eric

Just wanted to update the thread just incase someone does a search in the
future.

I sort of solved this by created a script to perform the following:

1. Pull down the status page via wget and check the status of the specific
tuner.

2. If the tuner status shows not connected then I have the script restart
portmap, nfs-kernel-server and then the master backend. Not really sure if all
three of these need to be performed yet as I haven't had a chance to really
test it out piece by piece to see if only certain ones need to be done.

I am going to have this script run every couple of hours, maybe every hour not
sure yet. I need to also set some more checking in the script to make sure
that nothing is currently being recorded, transcoded or commercials being
flagged before any of the services are reset.

This at least resolved the issue of having to reboot the slave machine each
time. I am still not sure why NFS is causing this OR why restarting the NFS on
the master backend makes everything ok, but for now it is an automated fix
that keeps all my tuners available.

-Eric