[mythtv-users] Cost of running devices 24/7

David Knight dlknight at sdf.lonestar.org
Fri Sep 11 12:48:14 UTC 2009

On Fri, September 11, 2009 12:41 pm, Mark Wormgoor wrote:
> True. I have a similar setup (only 1.75TB though). Unfortunately, I
> chose Xen with CentOS, which doesn't do powersaving too well. My 2.33
> GHz C2D E6550 won't scale down further than 2.00GHz as it can only do
> ACPI frequency changes.
>
> As soon as CentOS 5.4 with KVM is out, I'm switching to that instead -
> should save some more power!
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Mark

I was running Citrix XenServer 5.0 up until about 2 months ago. I moved to
Fedora 10 and KVM instead because of the powersave issues with Xen. My Xen
VM's even work under KVM and I managed to save all of my LVM based volumes
and get them working under Fedora.

With XenServer machine was drawing a constant 100-120w (CPU at full speed).

With Fedora, KVM and powernow-k8d it draws between 60-65w (CPU at min
speed - 1000MHz).

I have also configured a cron job to shutdown the VM's and the server when
I'm not using it.

Dave K.