[mythtv-users] Cost of running devices 24/7

jansenj jansenj+myth at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 16:40:29 UTC 2009

Many good suggestions for power savings.
I like the idea of using a drt router, but does anyone have experience
serving a photo gallery from one?

In order to avoid opening holes in my firewall, I looked at orb.com which
looks like you make a client connection to their server, then it has access
to the data you share with it.  Sounds like an interesting concept, but I'm
not sure a whole lot of innovation has been put into it since it looked like
it launched in 2005.

I also like the idea of sharing a portion of my space, to have off-site
backup for free...but I'm not sure how I feel about the idea of my data on
someones personal hard drive albeit encrypted. My friend uses a somewhat
similar idea, but your backup data only goes to your "friends" hard drives,
in which case, you can only backup the amount they give you.  Again it is
encrypted though, so I'm still in the same boat in terms of sharing my data
with my parents.  But I can't remember the name of that application that
performs that service.

And of course, I can always just do what I'm doing and open a hole through
my firewall to my mythbox and run a gallery from home, but then I have to be
a little more careful about security and web servers settings for mythweb.