[mythtv-users] fanart question

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 04:02:46 UTC 2009

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 8:56 PM, freedenizen <freedenizen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 8:47 PM, Robert McNamara
> <robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
>> that's not possible, the cached images have the effects the particular
>> theme applies to them cached.  So masks, alpha, reflections,
>> grayscale, resolutions they are used at as specified by the themes,
>> etc. are all part of the cached images.  Those aren't carried over to
>> other themes.
>
> Ahh ok, I didn't notice anything between the Terra and Graphite fanart
> backgrounds when I was in the video manager, maybe there is a
> difference, but it wasn't noticeable to me. I'll just stick with what
> I got for now, took me an hour to get all the images scaled.

What I'm saying is unless the themes apply the exact same series of
effects to them, one theme will just load a new copy instead of using
the other one, because the cached image filename literally contains
the effects applied to it.  Example:

myth:--Fanart at 192.168.0.99:6543-Battlestar Galactica (2003) Season
0_fanart.jpg-masked-1360x768.png

Graphite applies a mask, so this is the cached file.  Contrast with Terra:

myth:--Fanart at 192.168.0.99:6543-Battlestar Galactica (2003) Season
0_fanart.jpg--1360x768.png

Which does not apply a mask.  So what I'm saying is copying the images
from one to the other will serve no purpose other than to take up more
of your hard drive space.  You won't prevent caching of new copies of
images.

robert