[mythtv-users] UPnP Client?

Darrin Smith mtv at aperature.org
Mon Sep 14 11:20:30 UTC 2009

I've been playing with the idea of using universal plug and play, but
I can't seem to find a decent linux client anywhere.  Part of what I
find confusing is that mythfrontend emits messages indicating that
there may be an embedded UPnP client in the program, but the
functionality doesn't seem to be exposed to the end user (in
0.21-fixes).

I tried djmount, but was very unimpressed with it's performance and
impact on the machine and the network.  I have a dual core 3GHz
machine and accessing a UPnP resource on the network just barely
crawls.  I'm running a gigabit full duplex network, so bandwidth
shouldn't be an issue.  For the server side of it, I'm using PlayOn.

So - how are you doing it?  In the archives I see messages saying how
great this works, but I can't seem to determine how any of you managed
to get it set up.  The most recent information online that I could
find is over a year old and there doesn't appear to have been any
development in djmount in a long time.  There must be some new
information or new developments that have occurred since then.

Any info would be much appreciated.  Thanks.