[mythtv-users] UPnP Client?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Sep 14 13:29:18 UTC 2009

On Monday 14 September 2009 05:20:30 Darrin Smith wrote:
> I've been playing with the idea of using universal plug and play, but
> I can't seem to find a decent linux client anywhere.  Part of what I
> find confusing is that mythfrontend emits messages indicating that
> there may be an embedded UPnP client in the program, but the
> functionality doesn't seem to be exposed to the end user (in
> 0.21-fixes).
>
> I tried djmount, but was very unimpressed with it's performance and
> impact on the machine and the network.  I have a dual core 3GHz
> machine and accessing a UPnP resource on the network just barely
> crawls.  I'm running a gigabit full duplex network, so bandwidth
> shouldn't be an issue.  For the server side of it, I'm using PlayOn.
>
> So - how are you doing it?  In the archives I see messages saying how
> great this works, but I can't seem to determine how any of you managed
> to get it set up.  The most recent information online that I could
> find is over a year old and there doesn't appear to have been any
> development in djmount in a long time.  There must be some new
> information or new developments that have occurred since then.
>
> Any info would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

You say you can't find a Linux UPnP client. XBMC works pretty well, but I tend
to use the many available hardware clients. PS3s were mentioned, there is
also the Xbox-360,  the D-Link DSM-520, the Popcorn Hour, the Myka, and many
more. Sone DirectTV receivers have UPnP client capability, as well as some TV
sets (HP and Sony).There are also some networked Blu-Ray players that
implement UPnP.

I think the future of Myth systems is hardware decoding, much less power
consumed and fewer problems with drivers etc. VDPAU is at best a halfway
solution.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org