[mythtv-users] UPnP Client?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Sep 14 17:31:50 UTC 2009

On Monday 14 September 2009 11:23:27 Mark Boyum wrote:

> I've just recently been playing around with PlayOn and MythTV as well.
>  Djmount does a decent job of presenting the upnp network as a
> filesystem, but it is a bit sluggish.  I also haven't had any success
> getting MythVideo to browse my Netflix Queue via djmount.  So last
> night I installed XBMC and was able to browse and play all media from
> my PlayOn server.  So for now I am going to add a Myth menu item for
> XBMC to play upnp content.
>
> This doesn't seem like the most elegant solution, but should work
> until Myth becomes a full upnp client.

PlayON is indeed a useful tool, allowing access to Hulu et al, as well as
Netflix and Amazon VOD. It also allows access to local files with a UPnP
player device, and is a lot less trouble to set up than something like
MediaTomb.

The djmount system is interesting, but sluggish, as you say. When used with
local UPnP servers it's reasonably quick, which makes sense as a local
network is a but faster than the internet.

The only problem is it means running a Windows system. I'm doing that in a VM
using VirtualBox, though it takes a fairly beefy server to run XP fast
enough, especially for the "extended" definition files, which are not HD, but
pretty good.

Getting a UPnP renderer integrated into Myth would indeed be a nice
enhancement.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org