[mythtv-users] Lost my OS hard drive

Jim Morton Jim at Morton.hrcoxmail.com
Mon Sep 14 18:49:42 UTC 2009

James Crow wrote:
> Today I switched from DSL to cable internet. The installer asked me to
> move my computer (MBE) so that he could install a jack behind it. I
> shut everything down and moved the system. When I powered things back
> up I got the horrible click of death from one of my drives. It turns
> out that the drive that had failed is my OS disk. All my recordings
> sit on dedicated spindles. I also had a cron job that backed up my
> database every night and saved it to a directory under /home. Problem
> is that /home was on the same spindle as my /. In hindsight that was
> obviously not the correct place to store the mysql backup, but I don't
> think I realized it when I set things up.
>
> So now I have lost my mythconverg DB as well as its backups. All my
> recordings are intact. Is there any way to rebuild the portion of the
> database that shows the recorded files with just the recordings? I
> have an older db backup from ~ 6 months ago on an older machine so
> that will contain some of the older recorded and then deleted
> programs. I have 1.9TB of recordings and would hate to just end up
> with files I can view through mythvideo instead of through the
> recordings interface.
>
> If anyone has any ideas on possible ways to salvage a drive with the
> click of death I'm open to suggestions.
>
> Thanks,
> James

I had one that would not spin up. After the freezer trick didn't work
and banging it around didn't work, I took the cover off of it (it had
those security torx screws) and while plugged into a system, started the
platters spinning by hand. Once I got it spinning, it kept going and
worked long enough to copy everything to another drive.