[mythtv-users] Will we ever have Clear QAM WAS: Seattle Times: Comcast to encrypt basic cable QAM channels

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Mon Sep 14 20:36:10 UTC 2009

David Brodbeck wrote:
> 'Comcast has been transmitting the digital signals unencrypted. That means
> people with TVs that have built-in digital tuners haven't had to use the
> adapters yet. Some people with bare-bones $14 cable service (and a TV with
> a "QAM" tuner) have been getting expanded basic channels for free.
>
> 'But not for long. Late last month, the FCC authorized Comcast to use the
> free converter devices as descramblers. That's a green light for the
> company to start encrypting signals, which it began doing a few weeks ago
> in Spokane. The rest of Washington will follow soon, meaning all
> expanded-basic customers will truly have to use converters soon.
>
> '"We're still on track to encrypt, definitely, by the end of the year,"
> spokesman Steve Kipp said Friday.'
>
> You can read the whole thing here:
> http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2009860393_brier14.html

I am not in the Seattle area, but this got me thinking. If my local
cable company left all basic cable channels as clear QAM I would have
maybe 15 channels. Where I am located basic cable means broadcast plus a
couple of government and nothing else. The local broadcast are already
available as clear QAM so there is not much difference.

Let me look at it from a different angle. What if the cable co left all
expanded basic channels clear QAM they would have no way to prevent the
users with basic cable from receiving the expanded basic channels. I do
not know how their system works, but I think they need some way to
prevent users from viewing material they do not pay for. I just do not
know where the comprise needs to be made.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
James