[mythtv-users] Will we ever have Clear QAM WAS: Seattle Times: Comcast to encrypt basic cable QAM channels

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Sep 14 23:59:56 UTC 2009

On Monday 14 September 2009 17:56:53 Rick wrote:
> I don't know how much it costs in electricity to run all their Set Top
> Boxes, but I would love to subtract that expense from what I pay them.

Funny, power is a significant cost to cable companies. There was some outfit
years back that proposed having each STB feed a little power back into the
system to help run the amplifiers etc., essentially using ther customer's
power to run the system. I don't think it ever came to pass anywhere though.

> I also wonder if they can legally advertise their service without
> including the cost of the STB in the rates.  Technically, once the STB
> is required, one can't make use of the signal without it.  Therefore, it
> shouldn't be a hidden cost after you've signed up.

But of course it will be.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org