[mythtv-users] Upgrade = Disappearing STB

Jay Roberts roberts at fastmail.us
Tue Sep 15 13:30:58 UTC 2009

Just an update to this, it may have been a permission problem, and I may
have self-resolved.

I found more information here:

http://ieee1394.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Juju_Migration

In particular, I read the section on 'Permissions and ownership for
/dev/fw*'. I realized the box (i.e. /dev/fw2 in my case) was coming up
with root only access. I implemented the udev rules recommended on that
page for 2.6.30 kernels and suddenly the box becomes visible to mythtv.
Specifically, making the /dev/fw2 accessible to the video group of which
my mythtv user is a member.

so now I get

# ls -l /dev/|grep fw
crw-rw---- 1 root root    250,   0 2009-09-15 09:19 fw0
crw-rw---- 1 root root    250,   1 2009-09-15 09:19 fw1
crw-rw---- 1 root video   250,   2 2009-09-15 09:19 fw2

I set up the encoder but no real chance to test yet as I have to be off
to work.