[mythtv-users] HDMI audio working in Firefox/Flash, but not MythTV

Matthew Zimmerman mzimmerman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 00:05:31 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Allen Edwards
<allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 9:12 PM, Laura Donovan Bannister
> <geekgerl at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for all the responses! Here is the config that ended up working for
>> me:
>>
>> Audio output device: ALSA:default
>> Passthrough output device: Default
>> Max Audio Channels: Stereo
>> Upmix: Passive
>> Enable AC3 to SPDIF passthrough (unchecked)
>> Enable DTS to SPDIF passthrough (unchecked)
>> Aggressive sound card buffering (unchecked)
>> Use internal volume controls (unchecked)
>>
>> Woohoo! Sound at last!
>>
>> -LDB
>>

> Three questions.
> 1) Did you try the same configuration with passthrough checked?
> 2) What is your asound.conf file?
> 3) Does the internal volume control work?
> The internal volume control should not work if you have true digital
> passthrough so I ask that last part as a check on what is going on with your
> having digital output without passthrough checked.
> I would like to update my wiki so that this will help others but I don't
> have HDMI so have to depend on others to help with this.
> Allen

If I may hijack, I can add my own experiences :)
I'm using HDMI using an Intel ICH8 device on a Gateway T-6859u laptop.
 In order for HDMI audio to boot, I seemingly need to boot up with the
HDMI cable plugged in and the TV on.  After I initially login to my
Ubuntu machine, I can turn off the TV and turn it back on at any time
later and it works.  In this config, sound from the built in speakers
does not work.

1) With AC3 passthrough checked, I get static output as noise when
playing AC3 content.  When playing other content, that setting doesn't
make any difference, sound works just fine.

2) My asound.conf is:
pcm.!default {
	type plug
	slave {
		pcm "hw:0,3"
		format S32_LE
	}
}

3) alsamixer doesn't control the volume of the sound, only adjusting
it on the TV works.

Matt Z