[mythtv-users] HDMI over IP

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Wed Sep 16 04:47:54 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 4:34 PM, Bill Williamson <bill at bbqninja.com> wrote:

>>> That can't be...
>>> They would never be able to carry hdmi 1.3 over cat5 over 300 feet if
>>> that was the case.
>>>
>>> Current hdmi over cat5 solutions require two cat5 cable.
>>>
>>> In any case, I wonder what kind of magical compression they can use to
>>> transfer a 2.25Gbit/s over a 100Mbit/s link
>>

>> blu rays are 1080p24 at 20-30mbps.  On air HDTV is 1080i50 at 12mbps.
>> All they need is a realtime encoder/decoder, which from reading their
>> specs is what is sounds like they have....
>>
>> Not a good solution IMO but it IS a solution.
>
> For the money - $299 per transmitter and $250 per receiver I would
> have thought a standard mythtv backend/frontend would be far more
> flexible.
>
> Unless you WANT everyone to be forced to watch the same thing!

At my work (can't talk about where) we would kill for this.  We have a
current SUPER low fidelity video distribution system that is analog
based, and cost probably $3,000,000 at the time to support 100 or so
monitors with 4 channels.

WIth something like this and a TINY bit of backbone switching we could
do the same for much less money, at much higher fidelity(even just
720p25 would be better!).

Its place is NOT people like us, it's for real video distribution.