[mythtv-users] Performance issues with new 9400GT

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Wed Sep 16 20:10:54 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Enigma" <enigma at thedonnerparty.com>
To: "mythtv-users" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2009 4:56 AM
Subject: [mythtv-users] Performance issues with new 9400GT

I recently purchased a Sparkle 9400GT PCI video card to use in one of
my frontends to increase performance for playback.  ....

Here are the relevant sections of my xorg.conf:
Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "fbdevhw"
Load "glx"
Load "record"
Load "freetype"
Load "type1"
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "TV"
        HorizSync    30 - 50
        VertRefresh  60.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    Option      "UseEvents" "True"
    Option      "TripleBuffer" "True"
    Option      "TVStandard"    "NTSC-M"
    Option      "TVOverScan" "0.0"
EndSection

The overscan is also a huge issue with this card, to fit the gui on
the screen the size is adjusted down from 1024x768 to 888x693.
Different resolutions seem to have similar amounts of overscan, even
with overscanning disabled in xorg.conf.

If anyone else has a similar card that had issues like this, please
chime in and let me know what you did!  Thanks for any insight anyone
can provide on these issues.

=================================
Welcome to the World of Sparkling PCI HD!  They seem a great idea don't they.  What is your CPU?

I presume you are correcting overscan using mythtv and not xorg.conf?

I've found JYA's distribution the best for this card, however I have yet to get them running to expectation although I have had them
playing HD briefly.

Here is a "working" xorg.conf:

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister at builder57)  Wed Nov 26 11:27:46 PST 2008

# xorg.conf.failsafe (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
#   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Default Layout"
    Screen         "Default Screen" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load           "glx"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "keyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Configured Video Device"
    Driver         "nvidia"
#Try this here?
    Option    "UseEvents" "False"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Default Screen"
    Device         "Configured Video Device"
    Monitor        "Configured Monitor"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "NoLogo" "True"
#    Option "UseEvents" "False"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes      "nvidia-auto-select"
    EndSubSection
EndSection
This one is driving a Viewsonic 1080p over VGA at 1920x1080.

Be mindful whether you have enough wattage in your power supply.

You need JYA's distribution as at http://www.avenard.org/media/Home.html

180.60 and 190.xx (Forget which currently - 25?) both work briefly till I get  vdpau display preemption problems even though NVIDIA
have attempted to fix these.

Do keep us informed as I'd like to get mine stable too!