[mythtv-users] How do I get coverart/etc in watch recordings?

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Sep 17 06:46:42 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 02:22 -0400, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 23:21:06 -0400
>     > From: "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
>
>     > On 09/16/2009 09:47 PM, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
>     > > I have 3 identical motherboards which occasionally (5%? 1%?) boot with
>     > > the clock running at least 5% fast; this is enough to cause NTP to lose
>     > > sync within 5 to 60 minutes and drop out.
>
>     > Does your system do an "ntpd -gq" (replaces the deprecated ntpdate) on
>     > boot before starting ntpd as a daemon?
>
> According to the ntpd documentation, that would essentially act like
> ntpdate (except that the systems involved are old enough to lack -q
> and do have ntpdate), and would reset the clock even if it was more
> than 1000 sec (e.g., 16 minutes) off.
>
> That's not the issue.  The problem is that (when the hardware comes up
> wrong), the machine starts out within a few seconds (probably within 1
> second) of the correct time, but then tries to run 5% fast.  If ntpd
> weren't running it -would- be running 5% fast from the first second it
> was up.  If I reboot, it will (most likely) come up -not- running 5%
> fast.

another thought is to look into /etc/adjtime and the utilities to
control it:

*  net-misc/adjtimex
      Latest version available: 1.20-r2
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 93 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.ibiblio.org/linsearch/lsms/adjtimex.html
      License:     GPL-2

I believe here you can control how fast/slow you want to run the clock.
It might be able to correct your 5%, or if wrong be the cause of it?

I seem to remember that playing with hwclock can "turn off" the adj
mechanism, so read before you leap :)

BillK