[mythtv-users] Please submit your objection

Max Hodgson max at mjhodgson.com
Thu Sep 17 07:52:15 UTC 2009

2009/9/17 David Watkins <watkinshome at gmail.com>

> 2009/9/17 Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net>:
> > Richard Morton wrote:
> >>
> >> This is essentially changing the law in the UK to permit the BBC to
> >> use DRM on HD.
> >
> > I don't understand:
> > "Under licensing rules, the BBC is not allowed to encrypt the actual video
> > or audio
> > streams. So instead it is requesting that it be allowed to encrypt the data
> > associated
> > with TV listings without which set-top boxes are not able to decode the TV
> > content."
> > How would that work?
>

> They mean they want to encrypt the EIT (and presumably xmltv) data
> that provides the TV schedule, so it wouldn't be possible to
> automatically schedule recordings on the HD channel.

So anybody who really wanted to pirate stuff, would look in the radio
times and set their device to record between the hours of x and y.
Yeah that'll work...

I like the bit in the article that says, "The deadline for responses
to the proposal closes on 16 September and Ofcom will then consider
its response. "

The date of the report on the BBC site, 16th September. They kept that
quiet right up until the last minute.