[mythtv-users] Zotac Ion vga out to s-video question

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Thu Sep 17 15:12:01 UTC 2009

On Thu, September 17, 2009 6:48 am, Patrick Davila wrote:
>>> The cables you see advertised only work if the video care really has
>>> avideo built in.  Translate: the cable won't work.
>>> There are converters on the market that are around $100
>
> I had a feeling this was the case. Why do they even bother selling those
> cables if most video cards don't support it?

You can check your Xorg.0.log file; it will show if xorg detected a TV
encoder.  (VT1622 or some such).  If it did, you can probably use one of
the cheap cables.  If not you need a converter.

> I found a couple converters listed for around $30-$35 here:
> http://sewelldirect.com/PC-to-TV-Converter.asp
> http://sewelldirect.com/pc-to-tv.asp

I have a different brand of converter.  They work pretty well if your TV
is of average quality.  I had it hooked up to my 37" Sharp LCD and the
artifacts were pretty painful, but I would think on a normal analog
resolution TV it would be perfectly fine.

You may get some streaking with fast action and an occasional flicker.  It
flickers between columns of pixels - the whole or part of the image will
shift right or left by a pixel.  As I said, on a typical analog TV you
would never see it.

With mine, it sometimes doesn't sync on boot, resulting in a very ugly
rainbow-hued image.  I have to push the reset button to get it to sync.  A
minor inconvenience but nothing major.

If it's temporary, I'd say go for it.

--Yan

--