[mythtv-users] OT: Audio Recommendations

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 14:27:14 UTC 2009

> Thing is, I wouldn't know a good amp or a good set of speakers if I saw
> them.  Gonna go out shopping later and see what the salesmen have to say,
> then it'll be a case of reading up on it I think...
>
> Thanks once again,
>
> MG

These are excellent speakers with amplifiers in them which can be
driven from your computer.  http://www.zzounds.com/item--ALEM1AMK2 I
have a set on my desktop system.

For a surround system on a budget, leave out the center speaker.  In
fact, my L-R speakers are about $10,000 and I just took out the center
speaker which was a cheap $1,000 speaker. Big improvement in the
sound.  You can have really cheap speakers in the rear, they don't
really do that much.  You can probably not get real loud in a big room
with speakers like these but the sound is very accurate.  They may be
the speakers the recording studio used when making the sound track in
the first place.  For a true surround system budget, put 80% in the
L+R, 10% in the rear and 10% in the SW, 0% in the center.  For a myth
system on a budget, use the computer as the decider preamp.  It's
free.

For a larger budget, consider Thiel speakers and Outlaw Audio amplifiers.

Allen