[mythtv-users] Notification of conflicts

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Sep 19 15:12:12 UTC 2009

On 09/19/2009 10:30 AM, Richard Morton wrote:
>> There's absolutely no magic in Myth's scheduler and the scheduler does not
>> create conflicts--people do.  Assuming you have no conflicts one minute, the
>> only way that a conflict could ever be created is if a) your recording rules
>> change (includes extending an ongoing recording or saying not to record a
>> show when you're in LiveTV and it asks for the tuner), b) your listings
>> change, c) some capture cards (i.e. in a remote backend) drop offline.
> I absolutely agree; but listings do change and people who are not a
> competent with Myth do schedule recordings. MythTV also doesnt warn
> you when scheduling a new program, or show you any related conflicts.
>
> Combine with that custom recording based on title searches and you can
> easily get in a mess.
>
> Recording Schedule conflicts are not static either; when using guide
> data which comes in a little bit at a time (a rolling 7, 8 or 28 days)
> and non-static programme schedules in most countries (less so in the
> US I understand). one week you can have no scheduling conflicts and
> another week you can have a couple to deal with.
>
> Problematically a schedule conflict can be auto resolved as following
> schedule data is provided by whichever source is used and repeats of
> one of the programmes involved in the conflict give myth more
> choices... but myth cant resolve all scheduling conflicts this way as
> there may not be repeats.

I wasn't disagreeing with the need/desire for notifications.  I was
simply disagreeing with f-myth-user's saying:

>>> so I find out if it
>>> magically -creates- a conflict right in the middle of primetime when
>>> nothing's been edited and mfdb hasn't run [which it did once]

which you completely cut out of my reply.

I even gave links to "real" programs that monitor logs--allowing you to
get notifications real time--so he wouldn't have to use hacked-together
bash scripts with 10's of instances of tee and grep and ...

http://swatch.sourceforge.net/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/swatch/

http://kodu.neti.ee/~risto/sec/

Mike