[mythtv-users] Having Trouble Finding The Right TV Capture Card

Tom Purl tom at tompurl.com
Sun Sep 20 00:49:32 UTC 2009

I've been looking at the hardware section of the wiki for an hour now,
but I'm still having problems.  Any help that anyone can give me would
be greatly appreciated.

I have been using the PVR-150 with analog cable (in the US) for a
couple of years now and have been very happy.  However,  I'm going to
be ditching cable soon and switching to antenna-only TV soon.  I don't
think that the PVR-150 support ATSC, so I need a new card.

Here are my requirements:

* USB or PCI (NOT PCI-E) interface
* ATSC tuner
* Hardware-based encoder
  * My computer has a 1.8 Ghz Sempron processor, 512 MB of RAM, and a
9-year-old Riva TNT2 video card.  I therefore don't believe that I can
get by with a software-based encoder.
* Very solid LinuxTV and MythTV support.

I know, a lot of you are going to tell me to RTFM (W for wiki?), but I
did and didn't see one that fit all of these requirements.  I found a
few ATSC cards with hardware-based encoders, but they have a PCI-E
interface.  I found a few cards that meet all of my hardware
requirements, but I have never heard of the manufacturer.  A few years
ago, it seemed that the only cards that "just worked" were made by
Haupphauge.  Is that still true?

Is anyone else out there using a similar hardware configuration?  If
so, then what card works for you?

Thanks in advance!

Tom Purl