[mythtv-users] Pal/NTSC switching ?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 15:54:03 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/9/21 John <reidjr at btconnect.com>:

> I have a working interlaced modeline for NTSC 720x480, and a 720x576
> interlaced for PAL.
>
> I have the GUI and default Video set to 720x576, 25fps interlaced  and where
> Video is 720x480 an overide to 720x480 rate 51 (modeline for 30fps
> interlaced, on my nvidia card).

Do you actually see 51 in the list of available modelines in MythTV ???
What version of trunk are you running ?

If you see 51 it must be pretty old (from a trunk perspective). MythTV
was amended to show the real rates available, not the nvidia
DynamicTwinview rates (50, 51, 52 etc...)

> However when I play the two video types in myth, either as recorded TV, or
> as a video using the Internal player, there is no modeline switching, with
> the mode used being the last one set by xorg.conf, or xrandr.

Are you sure the video being played is exactly 720x480 ? the custom
resolution screen in mythtv is a bit limited, as the resolution must
exactly match what you've entered.

> xrandr from a terminal will switch the VGA output between the two modelines
> with no problem. I could set up a button on the remote to drive a script,
> and then restart mythtv, but .........
>
> Any suggestions, or this is a bug/feature request  for interlaced modes ?

unfortunately, interlaced refresh rates aren't well supported in
MythTV, and if you have Dynamic TwinView enabled (the default) the
list of refresh rates available is only populated with progressive
rate (as mythtv is currently unable to make the difference between
30Hz progressive and 60Hz interlaced)

To get them available, you will need to disable Dynamic Twinview. In
the screen section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf, add the line:
Option      "DynamicTwinView" "False"