[mythtv-users] Pal/NTSC switching ?

John reidjr at btconnect.com
Sun Sep 20 17:48:57 UTC 2009

Paul Gardiner wrote:
> John wrote:
>>
>> I decided to switch to VGA-> SCART for my nvidia Card, as I couldn't
>> get it o auto switch between NTSC and PAL on the S-video output.
>
> No answer to your question, but I'm wondering if you got to the
> bottom of why deinterlecers "none" and "Interlaced x2" seemed equally
> good for you?
>
> BTW, what I do for NTSC video is convert it to PAL with HandBrake. That
> at leasts gives good image quality, although the motion has a regular
> tick. I considered what you are trying to do, but my TV wont accept
> NTSC so I don't have the option.
>
> Paul.

Most modern TVs will take both 50HZ and 60HZ (or 25fps/30fps)  over the
RGB scart cable.  PAL and NTSC are not relly involved, and are only
shorthand for the resolution and refresh rate. Most DVD players will
play "NTSC" out of a scart socket in the UK as "PAL60". If you have a
reasonably modern TV, you can feed it a Modeline that will probably work.

I'm using :
#PAL reduced overscan
ModeLine "720x576 at 25i" 13.5   720 732 795 864  576 579 584 625 interlace
-hsync -vsync
#NTSC
ModeLine "720x480 at 30i" 13.5   720 736 799 858  480 486 492 525 interlace
-hsync -vsync

They work well on my Sony Trinitron.