[mythtv-users] Watch Recordings and Fanart

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Sun Sep 20 20:40:28 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-09-20 at 15:51 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 09/20/2009 02:17 PM, Ian Forde wrote:
> > Something about Watch Recordings has been broken over the last few days
> > for me.  It takes an inordinate amount of time to scroll through show
> > listings (using Graphite).  Using strace I was able to see the
> > mythfrontend process attempting to stat EVERY FILE in my
> > ~mythfrontend/.mythtv/MythVideo/ directory, including the Fanart and
> > Posters subdirectories.  Given that I have a large collection of
> > recorded shows exported to MythVideo, it takes a while.  And no - if I
> > go from one to the other then back, I don't see a themecache speedup...
>
> See the entire thread at

Hmm... I read it originally, then re-read it at your suggestion to see
if there was anything I missed.  Just for grins, I confirmed that I'm
using actime=0, the clocks are correct (I'm NFS mounting
~mythfrontend/.mythtv/MythVideo), and not explicitly setting block
sizes.  So I made it a local directory instead, and its definitely
faster.  But the thing is that using NFS for this seems to be the
logical option, no?  Then the themecache would contain a local copy,
yes?

In any case, what I can't figure out is why, when in Watch Recordings,
it still wants to read every file, as opposed to MythVideo, which just
"knows".  Is it because there isn't a db field for fanart and coverfile
in the recorded shows table?  (I'm guessing recordedprogram...)  So then
it would have to look for matches?

Thanks for the assist, btw.  It works for now, though now I'm going to
have to play fancy games with cron and rsync to keep this working with
my other frontend for now... ;(

	-I