[mythtv-users] 9400GT PCI - No Overscan - Odd!

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 00:34:45 UTC 2009

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Tortise <tortise at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> Been mucking around trying to get a mythbuntu jaunty box to behave as a
> front-end and managed to uninstall the nvidia glx and then the box would not
> start X.  Tell it to restart X, press cancel and it started into some damn
> thing which was X like but apparently not nvidia X, according to NVIDIA X
> Server Settings the NVIDIA X driver was not being used.

If you uninstall nvidia-glx you uninstall the nvidia proprietray
driver, so obviously X is not going to use the nvidia driver in those
circumstances.

The open source nv driver or the vesa driver may be in use. The place
to check is /var/log/Xorg.0.log (which is re-written every time you
start X and of which one backup is usually kept, so if you want to
restart X multiple times and keep the output for subsequent analysis
you need to manually save the log file by cp'ing it somewhere else)

> Display said it was
> running at 800x600.

Thats about the resolution you might expect of one of the open source
drivers, particularly if it has no|incorrect information about the
capabilities of the "monitor" (by which term I include your TV).

>As it is can still remote in using VNC so I am assuming
> some sort of X was running, Xorg was running as a process.
>
> The odd thing was there was no overscan that was expected normally even at
> this resolution.  This was over component into a 32" semi-HD CRT.
>
> Can anyone make sense of that as I was still expecting overscan, certainly
> from a default desktop?

different driver = different "features"