[mythtv-users] MythBuntu (juanty) and updates

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 03:03:18 UTC 2009

>> Will running updates break anything that I may need?

There is an important distinction to make when talking about updates
vs upgrades. Making distribution upgrade from Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10 or
upgrading mythtv between major releases (e.g. .21 to .22) will often
result in something not working how it used to and perhaps having a
broken set up until you can get it sorted out. So I generally make
these upgrades over a long weekend or some other time when I know I
will be able to spend the effort to get it sorted out. However,
installing the standard security updates and bug fixes for the same
distribution or keeping up to date with mythbuntu's weekly builds of
.21-fixes has generally fixed many more problems than it has ever
caused me and is much safer than doing the major upgrades previously
mentioned. When I upgrade usually wait a month or two after the
release and do a little google search or watch this list to see if
people are having major problems in general or with my particular
hardware. Then when it feels safe I go ahead. The last two
distribution upgrades with Ubuntu have only fixed things and not
introduced new problems. Going from 8.10 to 9.04 took about 45 minutes
and I had to figure out something else to do with the rest of my
Saturday. So in my experience it seems to be getting better.