[mythtv-users] new rig ... help with specs

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 07:32:44 UTC 2009

> Finally, I'm sure I read somewhere that a 5 degree difference in temperature
> can make a giant impact on hard drive life.

This used to be common knowledge but the data doesn't support it.
Google's study (labs.google.com/papers/disk_failures.pdf) found that
failure rates actually went down with higher temperatures, until you
get up to really hight temps like >45°C where failure rates went up
again only slightly. Their conclusion was that temperature simply
wasn't a significant factor in drive failure. Also average utilization
wasn't significant for drives that weren't brand new. They also showed
you get a SMART error there is a high probability of failure but there
are also many failures that occur with no SMART warnings. They did say
that there was high failure rates with certain brands and certain
lots, but they wouldn't share which ones.