[mythtv-users] new rig ... help with specs

Chris Stevens chris at mindblow.co.uk
Tue Sep 22 15:23:27 UTC 2009

The situation with RAID hard drives is fairly straight-forward: buy the
enterprise versions - eg. Seagate 750 ES. These have MTB of around
3,000,000 hours which is over 300 years and are only a bit more
expensive.

But there is just one primary rule for any HD: KEEP THEM COOL. Drives go
very quickly if you let them overheat. You can actually buy any old
rubbish so long as you follow this rule.

Install smartmontools and monitor the temperatures.