[mythtv-users] new rig ... help with specs

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Sep 22 15:29:01 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 09:04:02AM -0600, Travis Tabbal wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 8:31 AM, Richard Morton
> <richard.e.morton at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Its interesting hearing so many views on hd's.
> >

> IMO, what happens is that people get failures from a lot or manufacturer
> over a short time and write them off for years. In the mean time, someone
> else tries the brand and finds that they work fine, then suddenly they have
> a problem later. It's all about timing. Every manufacturer has had a bad
> batch or model for whatever reason. The Seagate 1.5TB fiasco is only the
> most recent. I'm sure we all remember the "Deathstar" mess IBM had further

    ...speaking of which. I bought myself a batch of those notorious seagate
drives from newegg. I had one DOA failure and the rest have been fine. I even
used one for my recordings storage for awhile.

    My own experience with seagates has been very positive. They generally are
still operational after they are taken out of service. Infact, I would say that
"drive disposal" is more of a problem for me than drive failures when it comes
to seagates.

    I have also had no troubles from WD. I've always avoided Maxtor so I have
no comment on them. I've also used "Deathstars". I didn't manage to be lucky
enough to buy one of their lemons.

    For Myth purposes I think most drives will seem too small before they are
old enough to fail... '-)