[mythtv-users] new rig ... help with specs

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Sep 22 16:51:09 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 22 September 2009 10:42:09 Jim Morton wrote:

> > The thing with the Google paper is that it was all done within
> > standard data centre operating conditions - when they showed no
> > correlation between failure and temperature, this is within a very
> > narrow range of temperatures.
>
> If you read the paper and looked at the pretty graphs I don't think you
> would say that. The temp range IIRC was 20 - 50 degrees C. That's hardly
> a "narrow range."

It's certainly "narrow" if you are talking about stellar core temperatures,
but it's pretty broad in terms of the operating conditions for hard drives.

Personally I suspect the problem may be the delta-T, so keeping a drive at a
stable 50 deg. constantly may well be better than going from 20 deg. to 35
and back several times a day. The study did not give enough information to
evaluate this hypothesis though.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org