[mythtv-users] Zotac IONITX Performance

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Sep 22 21:59:25 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 22 September 2009 13:39:16 Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > Perhaps we should get a standard test file recorded with an HD-PVR at
> > maximum bitrate for folks to test playback setups.
>
> A blu-ray rip would be better.
>
> It's probably within fair use rights to send one of the
> advertisements/trailers found on a BR disc to someone looking for test
> material.

Fair use isn't the issue, if it was there would be no problem, since we are
working towards "interoperability".

The DMCA would be the problem, as I understand it there is practically NO
legal reason to break the encryption on a Blu-Ray.

If we could find something on a BR that did not require breaking any sort of
protection feature, that should be OK. I for one do not feel comfortable with
Blu-Ray rips unless I am sure it's legal, or at least I don't feel
comfortable discussing it here :-)

As Nick R. pointed out, we probably want something that uses as many of the
features of h264 as possible, a real "torture test" for an h264 decoder.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org