[mythtv-users] Very poor picture quality from HD3000

voidtrance at comcast.net voidtrance at comcast.net
Wed Sep 23 00:38:06 UTC 2009

First of all, thanks for trying to help me!

Well, let me try to describe the picture that I am getting:
It is fine for about a second and then it starts getting artifacts, blurring, green blocks,
freezes, then it comes back for a second, then goes bad again. I get audio only during
the "good" seconds, otherwise, no audio. My receiver (myth box is connect through S/PDIF)
keeps switching between Dolby Digital (when there is good sound) and Pro Logic (the default)

This happens on all channels that I have tried. On the other hand, the TV on the same channels
with the same cable/signal gets good picture and sound.

As far as the firmware, I just downloaded the firmware package from pcHDTV.com and diffed it
against the firmware installed on the system and they were identical.

I am in the Bay Area, California and I used the following settings for the frequencies and scans:
General settings -> us-cable
Input Selection->Scan for Channels->Cable-High and QAM-256
The signal comes from the cable TV coax and not an antenna and I am scanning for all the channels
from the Extended Basic Cable Lineup which Comcast switched to digital late last month (channels
30-85 from the old Analog lineup).

I am not sure whether that is correct but Cable-IRC-High seemed to produce the same results
and Cable-HRC-High didn't find any channels at all.

I should also mention that the HD3000 does not find all the channels that the TV finds. For most
of the channels that are missing from the HD3000 scan, it (the HD3000) gets a lock but then it
times out with "no tables".