[mythtv-users] Very poor picture quality from HD3000

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Wed Sep 23 06:23:14 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-22 at 23:23 +0000, voidtrance at comcast.net wrote:
> The numbers are from the the little dialog that pops up in
> mythtv-setup during the
> channel scan. Both signal strength and S/N are in percent.
> It could be that the bar that represents S/N means db (so 13db, if
> that makes any
> sense - I am not a signals guy) but the character after the bar is
> '%'.

The signal strength and S/N numbers are uncalibrated with the Linux
DVB drivers. As a  general rule with any one card on any one
channel, a larger number is better and smaller number is worse.
The S/N is log(random num) on some cards, a linear value on others,
an uncalibrated S/N register read on other cards, another name for
signal strength on other cards, and sometimes completely made up.
The reason we report those values is for primarily of antenna
adjustment purposes.

-- Daniel