[mythtv-users] Well supported, reliable PCI DVB-S card suggestions required

Robert RobertCL at iname.com
Wed Sep 23 17:34:26 UTC 2009

Per Jørgensen wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 11:41 AM, RoboJ1M <jim.neave at googlemail.com
>> <mailto:jim.neave at googlemail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi,
>>
>>     I intend to get a friend a PCI DVB-S card for his birthday because
>>     he wants to build a MythTV box for his living room and only has
>>     access to an old Sky installation (no terrestrial aerial)
>>     We are in the UK.
>>
>>     Initially I was just going to get him a Hauppage Nova S Plus but
>>     it seems there are problems with it (can't generate 22kHz diseqc
>>     tone preventing it from tuning into certain channels) and as this
>>     is his first Linux project ever I wanted to get him something that
>>     'just works'.
>>
>>     Are there any card manufacturers out there providing real open
>>     source support yet?
>>     Should I really just go ahead and get the Nova S Plus? HD S2?
>>     Any other cards worth considering?
>>
>>     Thanks,
>>
>>     James.
 >
> Jelte Veldstra skrev:
>> For me the two Hauppauge Nova S (aka budget, so not the plus variety)
>> adapters just worked. Is there a need to use a CAM? Then you'll need
>> to find one with a CI slot. I have also used a Twinhan 1030A (has a CI
>> slot) with success in combination with a CAM.
>>
>> Regards,
>>

>> Jelte
>>
> I'm using the Hauppauge HVR-4000 DVB-S DVB-S2 with out any problems at
> all - supported in the kernel etc!
>
> Per

I have a Technotrend S-1500 [1] that has just worked for the last few years.

I also have an Hauppauge HVR-3000 that used to be a pain until the
drivers made it into the mainline kernel but now seems to just work - at
least for DVB-S anyway - never tried DVB-T due to lack of signal where I
am.  The only thing I've not gotten working on the HVR-3000 is the
remote, but I just use the remote from the S-1500 instead.

I'm using both of these to get Freesat in the UK.

My vote goes to the Technotrand S-1500 because it just worked from the
day I bought it with no messing around.

Robert.

[1]http://www.dvbshop24.net/TT-Budget/DVB-S/TechnoTrend-Budget-S-1500-incl-remote-TT-Viewer::21.html