[mythtv-users] No audio during SD playback

Patrick Oglesby octoberblu3 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 17:59:49 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 12:04 PM, Dave Richardson <mythtv at derdev.com> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>> I have a Zotac board, with nVdia ION. I am using ALSA 1.0.21 drivers with
>> the following config in Setup/General:
>>
>> * ALSA:default
>> * pass through:  -- Tried default, ALSA:default, ALSA:spdif, ... everthing
>> it had
>> * AC3 to SPDIF checked
>> * AC3 to DTS checked
>>

>> However, I keep getting no audio during any of my SD playback. All my HD
>> playbacks have normal audio. Am I missing something? Can someone please
>> help?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ash.
>>

> I'm in the same boat, PVR 500 does my SD recording.

Maybe you had the same problem I did...

There is a problem with ALSA where the computer tries to play digital
and analog sound at the same time for some hardware.  When it fails,
it disables analog playback over SPDIF.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/25632

Basically, I have a scripts that just runs "iecset audio on" to
restore sound.  (I usually have to close the frontend and then run the
script.)

Good luck,
Patrick