[mythtv-users] Ripping a TV series DVD into episodes

Stephen Robertson stephengrobertson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 09:26:27 UTC 2009

2009/9/24 Robert McNamara <robert.mcnamara at gmail.com>:
> Michael,
>
> MythVideo/Jamu/all the other fun new tools reckon files in mythvideo
> on a one file = one episode basis.  So you would need to rip each
> individual episode to a single file.  If You have Lost Season 1 Disk
> 1, which theoretically contains three episodes, you would need to use
> a tool (I would use Handbrake, personally) to create three video files
> from it, and to organize them according to one of the following naming
> schemes:

I'd second the suggestion of using Handbrake.  I've found it very good
and easy to use.  As an aside and I know there is no "right" answer
but what handbrake settings are people using?

I've tried quite a few options, most of them seemed fine to me but I
was wondering what other people found to be their "sweet spot" for TV
Series?  I tried the default(Handbrake 0.9.3) High Profile Television
preset but Mythvideo seemed to have a (known?) issue at the time with
.mkv containers.

I just need to find some time to watch all these videos I now have
shiny new artwork and metadata for!

Cheers
Stephen.