[mythtv-users] Ripping a TV series DVD into episodes

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Sep 24 15:00:18 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 10:26:27AM +0100, Stephen Robertson wrote:
> 2009/9/24 Robert McNamara <robert.mcnamara at gmail.com>:
> > Michael,
> >
> > MythVideo/Jamu/all the other fun new tools reckon files in mythvideo
> > on a one file = one episode basis.  So you would need to rip each
> > individual episode to a single file.  If You have Lost Season 1 Disk
> > 1, which theoretically contains three episodes, you would need to use
> > a tool (I would use Handbrake, personally) to create three video files
> > from it, and to organize them according to one of the following naming
> > schemes:
>
> I'd second the suggestion of using Handbrake.  I've found it very good
> and easy to use.  As an aside and I know there is no "right" answer
> but what handbrake settings are people using?
>
> I've tried quite a few options, most of them seemed fine to me but I
> was wondering what other people found to be their "sweet spot" for TV
> Series?  I tried the default(Handbrake 0.9.3) High Profile Television

    I used to use the divx defaults in mencoder. This worked out pretty
well for awhile until I found some material that this wasn't good enough
for. I had already been using some HQ options for h264 that I had found
on the web when I started transcoding. So I switched to those for my TV
content too.

    I just use avi files and sepearate caption files. I only keep a single
english language track. If I DVD doesn't have CC's, then I usually just keep
the vobs intact and don't do any transcoding.

> preset but Mythvideo seemed to have a (known?) issue at the time with
> .mkv containers.
>
> I just need to find some time to watch all these videos I now have
> shiny new artwork and metadata for!

     Just browse your collection and be in awe of it all... '-)