[mythtv-users] Glitchy HDHR Recordings

James Orr james.orr7 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 17:03:40 UTC 2009

I have a master backend with 2 PVR-250s connected to it, and a slave backend
which records from an HD HomeRun.

Now that fall is here with the new TV shows, things are getting busy and
I've had a couple situations where I am recording 4 programs at once.

If I'm recording two HD programs only, everything is fine.

If I'm recording two HD programs plus one SD program, everything is fine.

If I'm recording two HD programs and two SD programs, the HD programs become
extremely glitchy with lots of artifacts and large green blocks and
stuttering, only barely watchable and occaisionally completely unwatchable.
This seems to start a few minutes after the programs started recording, the
first few minutes are fine.

For example on Monday, it recorded Heroes, House, How I Met Your Mother and
one other hour long show I forget which.  A few minutes into both House and
Heroes the recordings became glitchy and this lasted half an hour, until How
I Met Your Mother ended.

I suspected it might be something to do with commercial flagging so I went
in to mythtv-setup and set it so that it will only flag recordings recorded
on the same backend, AND restricted the job queue to run only between
midnight and 7:00 PM (avoiding prime-time hours when I'm most likely to be
recording that many things), but this didn't help at all.

What I don't really understand is why having the master backend record
something affects how the slave backend is doing it's recording if there's
no jobs running at the same time (i.e. the slave backend comm flagging
something on the master or vice versa).

Also, I have my storage folders setup so that both backends only record to
local drives.

Fortunately most of the shows recorded on the PVRs are on the cable networks
and thus have many repeats so for now I can tell it not to record any
showing at the same time as two HD recordings but this isn't a good long
term solution and doesn't help much with the WAF either :).