[mythtv-users] Glitchy HDHR Recordings

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Fri Sep 25 22:58:18 UTC 2009

I don't think rebuilding the seek table will do a thing. I have the
same problem happen from time to time. It also happened on Monday
while recording House, Heroes, and an SD program simultaneously (and
comflagging  2 of the 3, though I'm not sure which 2). The first 10
minutes or so house was a screwed up (though Heroes was fine). Blocky
and it does a lot of fast jumpy playback. Those 10 minutes were
completely unwatchable.

Anyhow, normally I can copy an HD recording over to my windows box and
play the file back in Windows Media Player (meaning it is not using
anything in the mythtv database). However, this file is also causing
very similar problem for Windows Media Player, so it is a problem in
the video file, not the database.

I've had this problem off an on for a long time, and I've thought that
maybe it was an artifact of having both my tv folder and mysql
database on the same physical drive. However I recently added a second
hard drive and moved the tv folder to it, but apparently that didn't
fix it. My next guess is that the CPU is just too busy to get around
to checking the network card and it misses packets. A while back I had
done a custom hack to my backend to enable QoS recording on the
hdhomerun (and my gigabit network supports QoS delivery), but that
doesn't seem to help. If it is a CPU load issue, I'm wondering why it
happens. Yes, I do have a couple of commflagging processes running,
but those are niced so I would have thought the OS and myth would have
plenty of time for processing the incoming data.

--
Ron
Ronald Frazier Photography - http://www.ronfphoto.com/