[mythtv-users] Dead silent backend ?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sat Sep 26 04:07:02 UTC 2009

On 9/25/2009 22:15, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> What would you recommend for a case , I often read about the Antec
> P182/183 as being the quietest....
> Probably try a passive CPU cooler (Used a Zalman cooler, which after
> only 8 months became noisy)..

I have several P180/P182s, and can attest to their noise level.  With
three hard drives, four (antec tri-cool) case fans, a 120mm CPU fan, and
an 80mm PSU fan on a 500W supply, the crappy fan on my 9800 is the only
thing I can hear in my desktop.  With the side-panel open, and finger on
the GPU fan, the only thing left is some 'wooshing' noise from the
remaining fans.  With a twist-tie jammed in the GPU fan, the side-panel
on, and me several feet away, it is certainly very quiet but not what I
would consider silent.  That said, I would likely never hear it from
across the room with a movie playing, and I would have no trouble
sleeping in the same room with it.

On the other hand, why do you need your backend in the cinema room?  Put
it in a cabinet/closet/basement with a diskless frontend that downclocks
or stands-by when idle.  Maybe build a damped, baffled cabinet to hold
all the AV equipment in your cinema room.