[mythtv-users] new rig ... help with specs

Mary Strimel mary.strimel at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 21:15:00 UTC 2009

Wow, thanks everyone for your insightful comments.  I should have
mentioned, this will be a FE/BE machine.

As I continued researching, I did find a Gigabyte board that promise
extra durability and cooling properties:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128387

Reviews indicate the copper layer really does help with cooling and
it's not very much more expensive at all.

On the CPU, I hear y'all saying that the Athlon X2 should be enough
power for my box.  The mobo above promises "extra" energy saving
abilities if paired with a Phenom chip.  Would it be crazy to get the
Phenom to take advantage of this, ie. would I just "save" more power
by getting the Athlon X2?  This PC will be powered up 24x7.

p.s. to Brian, great suggestion and analogy of getting server-class
stuff ("used mercedes") - that is the type of person I am - drove an
'86 Saab until last year - but unf. I need something tame enough for
the living room, at least for now!