[mythtv-users] XvMC & Myth 0.22 frontend connecting to Myth 0.21 backend

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 21:20:12 UTC 2009

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Richard Morton
<richard.e.morton at gmail.com> wrote:
> wow, fast reply; thanks.
>
> So (out of interest and for the sake of fore-armed is fore-warned) the
> upgrade path to 0.22 is big-bang upgrade; all components
> simultaneously?? or can the vice versa work; 0.22 backend be connected
> to by 0.21 frontend?

Nope, all connected Myth frontends and backends must be identical
whole version/schema revisions/protocol versions, which makes it an
all-or-nothing upgrade.  So assuming it's for production purposes,
you'd need to upgrade all machines in one go.  If this is something
you are considering, I'd really strongly suggest that you hang on just
the one or two more weeks that it takes to actually make the release,
as the bugfixes to come are likely very critical to what many consider
to be a stable working setup.  If it's just for messing around, a
spare box or a virtual machine would work (as a standalone setup to
play with).

Robert